- Aveeno Powder
- Balmex Ointment
- Nystatin Ointment (by prescription only)
- 1% Hydrocortisone ointment (any over-the-counter brand)
- Fill tub with 6-8 inches of warm (NOT hot) water.
- While filling tub, empty 1 Aveeno packet into tub & break up any clumps to dissolve completely.
- Place child in tub with affected area(s) outside of the water. DO NOT submerge the affected area under the water.
- Repeatedly splash the affected area(s) for 30-60 seconds, and then stop for 30-60 seconds while keeping the affected area out of the water. (This allows the water to evaporate which will heal the rash).
- Repeat the cycle of “splashing & resting” for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with clean water & exit tub.
- Gently pat dry and then using a warm to cool setting (NOT hot) blow dry the affected area(s) until completely dry.
- Mix the following in the palm of your hand:
- 1 pea size amount of Nystatin
- 1 pea size amount of 1% Hydrocortisone ointment
- 3 pea size amounts of Balmex ointment
- Apply above mixture to entire area of rash until fully covered.
- Apply diaper, Pull Up, or underwear as usual.
Repeat “Step 1” 1-2 more times within 24 hours then 2-3 times/ day until healed.
Repeat “Step 2” 1-2 more times for the first 24 hours, then decrease to 2 times/day (8 hours apart).
You may apply a 50/50 mixture of Nystatin & Balmex (WITHOUT 1% Hydrocortisone ointment) with every diaper change.
Continue above steps until healed.
If rash persists for more than 3 days or worsens despite above treatment, please call our office immediately